Friday, November 30, 2007

A Cultural Exchange

Model school is over, and since my brain is fried from giving six aulas this week about the repoductive cycle of plants, I'm going to share some Moçambican pop culture instead of talking about how that went (which was fairly well, by the way)!

Disclaimer: I haven't been able to listen to these music videos, because this computer isn't capable of producing sound, so I can only assume that the following are correct.

Lizha James sings in Shangana, a local Southern dialect.
Lizha James - Numa wa Mina

Dama do Bling is hot right now. And yes, her name can be translated into "the Dame of Bling". Dama do Bling's day job is as an attorney in Maputo, a little fact that I find extremely amusing.
Dama do Bling - Boy
Dama do Bling - Dança do Remexe

I don't know much about Zico, but I hear this song all the time. The direct translation of the title is, "Let´s go away".
Zico - Vamos Embora

There is another wildly popular song by DJ Ardiles which you'd think is about taking photos. After a few weeks of singing it, I was informed that "taking photos" is actually a euphamism for having sex. Needless to say, I stopped singing it, but I wish I could find it to share.

2 comments:

Frosty said...

I love all the pop culture. I am so glad everything is going well!!! I miss you so much!!I will be calling you as soon as finals are over...Happy belated Birthday!

susan xoxo said...

o man o man am i tried. i miss you. no texts. no calls. i'm dying without you man. actually i'm just insanely tried. i need your new address. looks like ur xmas gift may come a bit belated.... lalala. i swear i had something good to tell you ,but im massively tired... so i will run. cheers!