Saturday, January 26, 2008

I got hangers

Tonight, I had an English session with about twenty crianças that live in my barrio. I taught them how to say “Qual é seu nome,” in English. The young ones didn’t get it, but I saw one of the older girls mouth, “My name is Aurora,” over and over again. And, then a baby peed on my foot.
Last night in Gurue, Allison and I went to check out a different restaurant on a side street near the center of town, and we ended up accidentally inviting ourselves to sit with a family. It was mostly my fault, but it ended up being a fantastic time. One woman absolutely loved me. She is now my mother, apparently, and her son is a 10th grader in the secondary school in Ile. I’m supposed to take him to church one of these days. I believe her wording was, “drag your brother to church”. Another woman who was somehow related to my Mozambican mother prompted us to sample a very odd goat dish. It tasted like soft, salted rubber. Allison is enthusiastic about integrating into the community, and it was certainly a sort of integration. We were very proud of ourselves.
Here’s something that’ll help you understand Ile a little better. I had to travel two hours away to buy hangers. On a similar note, I have hangers! A few weeks ago, the director’s kids brought me a long bamboo shoot, so now I can get my clothes out of boxes and rig up something to hang them.

No comments: