Monday, January 28, 2008

So rich, so pretty

This morning, I attended an introduction ceremony for school. I had to stand up and say, “Sou Jessica Campo. Sou professora de Biologia,” which must mean that it’s true. I’m teaching four turmas (classes) of 8th grade in the afternoon. My classes start no earlier than 12:30. I’m not a morning person, so I’m thrilled, and I’ll have around 320 students, which is less than I expected. All in all, I’m pleasantly surprised. Next year, when I’m more comfortable with Portuguese and teaching, I’d like to take on 10th grade (genetics), but my schedule is perfect for this year. It’s nice to ease into things for a change. I could’ve had multiple grades, which would’ve meant twice the lesson planning, and up to 500 students. Paul and Eli did the scheduling for the school, and they were kind to me.
I made Roux a Mozambican staple, xima (pronounced sheema), for dinner tonight and I don’t think he’s touched it. I even put butter and milk in it to make it more nutritious (and appealing). Granted, the “butter” is synthetic, waxy stuff that comes in a packet, and the milk is powdered. It’s essentially grits now, but it probably was before I added anything. In Namaacha, someone tried to convince me that xima is different than grits, but I don’t believe them. Water and corn meal sounds like grits to me.

No comments: