Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Exams

So, I’m grading exams, and one of the questions is, “Which is the only living being that is bipedal?” One student’s response was, “camarão” (shrimp). I’m so amused. A few hours ago, I might’ve been irritated by the answer, but I went over to Paul and Eli’s house to collect entertainment, which immediately boosted my mood. I have quite a bit of free time. Last week I drove myself into an existential crisis. For my sanity, I need to keep my brain occupied.
Teaching so far as been a composite of good and bad days. Portuguese words have emphases that are unnatural for me – ex, esqueléto, where I’d naturally say “esqúeleto” - and my students think my mispronunciations are hilarious. On the bad days, when I think that any Mozambican could do my job infinitely better, the laughter gets to me and I leave the schoolyard never wanting to come back. The good days convince me that I can do this. On the good days, I realize that the laughter isn’t malicious, and I have the clarity of mind to respond more positively (like by asking my students to correct me as opposed to getting frustrated). Today was a good day. I’ve been doing this thus far, haven’t I? I’ve been giving biology lessons in Portuguese to what would be considered a lecture hall full of students in the States, and I’m surviving. I feel better when I repeat it to myself, because when I say it, it sounds like a huge accomplishment and not something that I’ve already started to take for granted. Everything gets easier when you get into the habit of doing it.
Renee is working out well. He spent the afternoon practicing typing with a program on my computer while I organized all of my things (which, consequently, aren’t that many). He hasn’t broken the habit of referring to me as, “Professora”, but it’s sort of nice. He gave me another name, too. When we were in the market the other day collecting materials for Renee to put a few lights and outlets in his house, and the vendor was having trouble with my name for the receipt. Renee suggested that the Portuguese interpretation of Jessica is “Justina”. So, now, I’m not only Mana Jessica, Jex, Tía, Yes-ka, Aquela Branca, and Professora; I’m also Justina.

1 comment:

Aesiron said...

Ostriches! Kangaroos! Penguins!

I sent you a letter. I hope you get it soon.