Thursday, February 7, 2008

FINALLY, My First day of teaching

I’d like to say that my first day of teaching went ok. Michael, that beautiful bald man, has managed to convince me – via reverse psychology – that I’m actually ridiculously cool under pressure. My director, who apparently came over to listen to me at some point, mentioned later that I was talking a lot. I made jokes, mostly because the only three questions I got in all four aulas were “How old are you?” / “Are you single?” / “Do you have any children?” I am 60, single, and I have 30 children; or, maybe 20 children. I couldn’t remember, probably due to beginner’s onset Alzheimer’s. I sweated a lot, but for my first real lesson, speaking in a foreign language in front of a couple hundred real students, I did ok. Not well, but ok, and ok is a good place to be.

Things that I need to work on: if giving aulas were a race, I’d win every time. I had so much extra time from giving the 2 aulas worth of material that I managed to cram into one lesson – I have no idea how – that I reviewed the material. I write everything on the board that I want them to know, and underline key words that should help them remember the concepts. I broke down the word biologia into “vida” and “ciencia”, but they didn’t know what the hell Greek was, so I just told them it was an old language. I hope they aren’t panicking right now about how hard 8th grade will be, because their teacher is a nazi who just finished 4 years of college science and has no idea how to process information when it isn’t condensed into an impossibly small time-frame. Breathe, myself. You did well. I wonder why I’m panicking now, when I managed to get through it calmly?

On the way home, some drunk guy asked me to passear with him, but I negared. Then, almost to my house, I heard some kids say, “A Dona esta aqui!” and scatter from my sand pile. I pretended to chase them from it, until I climbed it myself and struck a celebratory king-of-the-sand-pile pose. I’m a comedic genius.

No comments: