Paul and Eli are building a conto in school for students. They have permission to renovate a pre-existing bathroom that hasn't been used since the school was a bunker during the civil war. When it's finished, the conto will be a room for the students to come and hang out. It'll have material about SIDA and STDs, and a room in the back for private councelling. We're painting a mural that Paul designed on the wall, with a mountain-scape that reflects Ile's, a sunset with lots of bright colors, and two people holding hands below an AIDs ribbon. My fingernails are encrusted with the remnants of blue and green oil-based paint. I am thrilled to be a part of the process.
When we got to the school in the morning to paint, I ended up explaining "in parallel" and "in series" circuit resistance to a couple of 10th grade JOMA kids. It was a lot of fun for me. One of them said that I'm a good teacher, which is a nice thing to hear. I adore physics, although it is definitely a subject to which I need to devote a lot of time to understand.
The other day while I was reading under my alpendra, a gray, falcon-like bird swooped down, caught a lizard that I hadn't even noticed on the side of my house a few feet in front of me, and flew back into a mango tree in a neighbor's yard. It was amazing, and vaguely reflective of my PC experience. I read somewhere recently that the Army could be summed up as long periods of boredom interrupted with moments of sheer terror. For me, PC has been a composite of long periods of comfortable slowness interrupted by fascinating moments that completely throw me off. The lazy stretches are usually when I learn most about myself, and I've been able to read more in the last few months than I have in the past four years. The brief, fascinating bits are probably just the right length for my system to be able to process. My life here is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment