Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Malawi, Malawi...

Back in Blantyre, Malawi after a few days up north in Nkhotakota. I met up with Joy, Angie, and Adrienne in Lilongwe on Saturday, and we traveled to Nkhotakota from there. We arrived at dusk, and didn't want to walk in the dark, so we hired bike taxis to get us the 4 km to the Suni Beach Lodge. Angie's friends' Elaine and Linda were staying there. On Sunday, the six of us walked down the beach to the safari place and signed up for a walking tour in Nkhotakota Wildlife Preserve.

It was a nice hike - very "I'm walking in the bush", but we only ended up seeing crocodiles. We saw tons of elephant poo, and heard baboons, but no luck. At one point our guide stopped dead. We all froze behind him, and he pointed to a tree and whispered, "Look at those red flowers." We wanted to kill him. I think he was screwing with us. After we got back, Adrienne and I decided to take a swim in Lake Malawi, with our clothes on. It was beautiful.

Last night Joy and I got to Doogles (a very popular backpackers) and - thrilled by the company of other expats - we entertained a small group of people with our biting wit. It was a lot of fun. We got a number for the manager of a tea plantation in Milange, and might do that tomorrow.

No comments: