Monday, July 14, 2008

Sorry, sir!

Seventy dollars for a safari near Lilongwe, Malawi.  Soon I will escape my African experience and enter the cushy, barbed-wired world of tourism.  I'm both nervous and thrilled at the prospect of traveling alone in an unfamiliar country until I meet up with Angie and Joy.  Rest assured; southern Africa is one of the safer places for a woman traveler.  It's theft that I have to be concerned about, and that's a small evil.  Anything of value that I have can be replaced.

My boyz have all left Ile for vacation.  The other day I had a fluent political conversation with Livoney.  I feel like I've passed a marker stone, the plateau.  I could've had the same conversation months before, but in this last trimester people have begun to warm up to me and discover that they like me.  And that marker stone is significantly more important than being fluent in Portuguese.

I watched Full Metal Jacket with Teixera, Jovencio, and Santos on Friday, and realized a few minutes in that it was too metaphorical for them.  I  don't know what I was thinking!  They like Van Damm.  They like Stallone.  I showed them Kubrick...

Ever since, Santos has developed a habit of saluting me and shouting "Sorry, Sir!"  It must've made an impact.

I love it here.

1 comment:

susan xoxo said...

I am so jealous of all the time off and traveling you get to do. America is blah. I'm pretty sure the closest I'm going to come to a Safari is the Zoo in Vegas.
Though I did get my share of castles this winter in Europe.

According to my knowledge from the African tourbooks I was reading the other day- they all agreed that your area of Africa is very good for woman travelers. I think you will be fine. :) Especially since you've been living in Moz. so long.